X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    Why every project in my house takes 10x longer than estimated.
    Because it's a well established fact that the dirtiest areas in all houses (bathroom, kitchen counter, basement, etc.) have 4th dimensional extensions which are only accessible when using cleaning products.

This is why I only clean my house using charcoal and dust bunnies.

(I learned this trick from Buckaroo Bonsai)
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
      phonetics exam due tomorrow! anybody know how to transcribe the words 'racing' and 'raising' to show the differences in pronounciation in RP?... no? me neither.
      Ugh, phonetics! Is there even any difference in the pronounciation of those two? :P
      baah.

Comment

Ugh, phonetics! Is there even any difference in the pronounciation of those two? :P
        you really want to know? yep. the vocal is longer in raising, so there's pre fortis clipping in racing (just means the vocal is shorter)... the s is voiced (so more like a z sound) in raising as well... I'm not sure if there's anything else... and it all needs to be written down in proper phonetic transcription.
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

you really want to know? yep. the vocal is longer in raising, so there's pre fortis clipping in racing (just means the vocal is shorter)... the s is voiced (so more like a z sound) in raising as well... I'm not sure if there's anything else... and it all needs to be written down in proper phonetic transcription.
          Oh yes, razing. English is definitely not my cup of tea. (Or phonetics. I like the idea but even learning the transcription or all the terminology.... just ugh.)
          But good luck to you anyway! May the Phonemes* be with you!

*just picking a random term I can remember
          baah.

Comment

Oh yes, razing. English is definitely not my cup of tea. (Or phonetics. I like the idea but even learning the transcription or all the terminology.... just ugh.)
            But good luck to you anyway! May the Phonemes* be with you!

*just picking a random term I can remember
            I like phonetics, it's exciting. but if I ever decide to specialize in it, I beg that someone reminds me just how much of a bother the work really is. thanks
            What babe?
            The babe with the power
            What power?
            The Power of voodoo
            Who do?
            You do!
            Do what?
            Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I like phonetics, it's exciting.
              How can people like impossible things? (Perhaps I have never heard of such things as curiousity and ambition...)
              baah.

Comment

I redeemed some Bing Rewards. Got $5 off my pizza order. I found three things on the rewards I use anyways: i tunes (for purchasing audiobooks I can't find in other 'free pirate type places', amazon (for stuff) and dominos for pizza! All give me $5 off e cards to use instantly.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Damn.. I was absolutely blown away when I learnt that they don't have statutory paid maternity leave in the US. I mean.. wtf?? (Yeah, I watch John Oliver's Last Week Tonight.. JP models himself on him.. well, him and David Mitchel, I know I know, what a lucky gal I am^^). We have 3 months here, and one of the last things Gordon Brown introduced before he left Downing Street was to change the law so that men can opt to take the leave instead, or a couple can split it between them. I always found it hard enough to imagine that you get a big fat bill just for giving birth, but then hearing that you are expected to go straight back to work afterwards or face financial hardship just... how can any government think that's an acceptable way to treat its citizens? Seemingly not many. In fact, just two. The USA and Papua New Guinea.

That took some getting my head around. But then this morning I heard from an American girl living in Japan that she'd never had normal green tea before moving there. Apparently in the States almost all green tea comes heavily sweetened. WHAT??? You mean you don't even have clipper? No maternity leave and no green tea?

Ah well, could be worse. At least you have access to proper dentistry.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    That took some getting my head around. But then this morning I heard from an American girl living in Japan that she'd never had normal green tea before moving there. Apparently in the States almost all green tea comes heavily sweetened. WHAT??? You mean you don't even have clipper? No maternity leave and no green tea?

We have real green tea that isn't sweetened...loose, or in bags. But if you buy it in a bottle or can its probably sweetened. Which is gross regardless, premade tea is blegh whether its sweetened or not--the latter tastes like the can and the former tastes like plastic and even if its in a glass bottle, they all taste like old tea and shitty preservatives.

But yeah, no paid maternity leave (or paternity leave) (or adoption leave). You have to take it (if you are lucky enough to have a job that offers it) as regular vacation or sick time.

Although, the military is thinking about extending the convalescent leave for maternity to 12 weeks (which is paid). IMO a great idea---I only had 6 weeks, and when I tried to take my regular leave on top of that, my chain of command laughed.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

And many American jobs begin with one week's vacation after a year, up until 3 years. Then you get 2 weeks, and after 5 years you get 3, and that's usually it for a long, long time. Salaried jobs work much longer hours (no overtime pay) than they did in my father's time, because middle management is practically non-existent.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I answered a phone call from an unknown caller, which I don't usually do, but I thought it may have been a call I was waiting for. The person asked for my ex-husband. I said "wrong number" and hung up. I have been divorced for THIRTY ONE YEARS and have moved & changed numbers several times. Ugh.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

What babe?
                          The babe with the power
                          What power?
                          The Power of voodoo
                          Who do?
                          You do!
                          Do what?
                          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

It's my father's bday tomorrow. I don't wanna go so much.. Meh.. I don't have any special plans for tomorrow either so I'll just pass the time.
                            Wish me good luck!
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I rediscovered Fable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                                Damn.. I was absolutely blown away when I learnt that they don't have statutory paid maternity leave in the US. I mean.. wtf??

I, too, wish our maternity leave was better. It was very hard to leave my daughter at home so soon when I had to go back to work. And if we hadn't had family support we wouldn't have had anyone to leave her with anyway. There was no way we would have been able to find daycare. Even now, leaving her with a home sitter, it strains our budget.

Also, we only have proper dentistry if you can afford it. That s**t gets expensive fast. I get around $1600 a year for dental work and if I needed anything major done other than a cleaning a maybe a couple fillings, anything like a crown or root canal, I'd be SOL. Let alone when I get old enough that I lose em anyway and need dentures.
                                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X