Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Do you think children born in the US to illegal immigrant parents should be given the status as American Citizen?
    Nope. They're illegal, so their offspring should be illegal. And my tax dollars should not go to pay for their hospital & Ob/Gyn bills. My insurance just cut a bunch of hospitals off of their contract - if I can't afford to walk into any hospital I want for medical procedures, I don't think it's right that some illegal alien can do it on the gov'ment's tab.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

How do you feel about standardized tests? Do you think they accurately indicate a student's knowledge or ability?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

How do you feel about standardized tests? Do you think they accurately indicate a student's knowledge or ability?
        I think standardized testing is the most idiotic thing ever thought up. Our kids are getting stupider and stupider (or more and more stupid, depending on if you went through standardized testing yourself) because now rather than teachers teaching to make the kids learn, they teach them to pass standardized tests. The kids get those tests drilled into them and never learn anything else. Let me put it this way... when we had our 5 days of graduation practice at my high school, it took 3 of those days to get into alphabetical order.
        "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

They can. They can show a student's knowledge, but only if the student is a good test taker.
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

They suck - they waste huge amounts of money and provide false, misleading information, while simultaneously giving the federal government absolute control over what is taught when in the schools.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think standardized testing inhibits creativity, imagination, problem solving and open-mindedness. It encourages a black/white-right/wrong mentality because even in a multiple choice question there's usually only one right answer according to the test (making the occasional concession to 'All/None of the Above'). I used to get in trouble for writing commentary in the margins of my test booklets because I had to tell someone that sometimes other factors should be considered (as well as point out spelling, grammatical, contextual and factual errors).

Comment

I kick ass at standardized tests. Why? Because I know how to give *them* the answer *they* want to hear. But some of the smartest people I know suck at them. Why? ...for all of the reasons already listed.

So...when far smarter people than myself get crappier scores than I do...I'd say thats a fail.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I'm going to plead the 5th on this since I'm one of the monsters that makes a living developing science items for graduation assessments.

Comment

They are ok as a guide ... But it depends on the test and how it is administered ... Seems now days teaching plans and tests are based on the lowest denominator ... there goes the national average ... Can't have kids feeling bad about themselves ... Better not teach them how to compete ...

*gets all touchy feely with self*
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Scenario. Two people in a relationship. One steps out and is with another person sexually etc etc. That person is obviously a cheater. But the person outside of the relationship....could that person be considered a cheater as well?

Comment

I'd say yes. You are stepping on someone else's relationship so you are just as guilty as the cheating party.
                        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                          I'd say yes. You are stepping on someone else's relationship so you are just as guilty as the cheating party.
                          But I didn't say they were not guilty. But technically they didn't make a commitment with anyone to be cheating. They are single..they are just...home wreckers! But I don't think they should be called cheaters.

*this question was brought up actually by a podcast I listen to and they had this exact debate!

Comment

Scenario. Two people in a relationship. One steps out and is with another person sexually etc etc. That person is obviously a cheater. But the person outside of the relationship....could that person be considered a cheater as well?
                            I don't see how that person is 'obviously' a 'cheater'. What if the relationship is an open relationship? What if they are polyamorous?

I just don't have enough information to assume anything about any of the above parties.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                              I don't see how that person is 'obviously' a 'cheater'. What if the relationship is an open relationship? What if they are polyamorous?

I just don't have enough information to assume anything about any of the above parties.
                              I should have been clear(er). This is about cheating partners specifically and what you think you would call the outside person who was with said inside relationship person. The debate on the podcast was that one person believed the outside person was still technically a cheater. While the other side debated, no they were not since they had no allegiences to anyone. They were a free agent so to speak. I was curious as to which side people would take. I personally believe if someone has not made a commitment to you, they can't cheat on you. They are just....being an idiot for lack of a better word!

Comment

I've actually been in this sort of situation, and was totally unaware that my girlfriend at the time was not only already dating when we met, but apparently was engaged. (which never actually went through obviously)

So I was the guy outside her original relationship, however I didn't know she was in one. So it was still just her cheating. She even tried to justify it saying that she wasn't cheating on me, she was cheating on him with me. trying to make me feel better about it. lol
                                "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Working...
                                X