Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
    Totally agreed. I barely know a handful of professional photographers. I seem to know hundreds of amateurs that THINK they're professional.

I own, and have owned, many cameras at the same time. (Cell phone cameras are not cameras. They're cell phones.) Right now I have three; two film and one digital. All three are SLR's with several different lenses, each.

I am NOT a professional "photographer". Even having taken hundreds of thousands of pictures, I'm still a hobbyist, an amateur, at best.

Today, someone can stop at Walmart, buy a 12 megapixel point and shoot, w/zoom, for less than a hundred bucks, and suddenly they're a photographer. If I had to guess, I'd say I've spent well over five grand on cameras and accessories, over the years. I put time into setting up a shot, I do snapshots, I capture so-called "Kodak moments", I look for interesting ways to interpret a setting to create a unique view, and I let pictures tell a story.

Apparently, I put way to much thought (and money) into snapping a few pics to annoy all my friends with. Amateur!
    I wonder what you all think of me, then. :/

Mostly art.

Comment

I was a Studio Mgr. long before digital....we used huge rolls of 35mm and had to detach the camera magazine and change film inside a changing bag. For those who don't know, this is a heavy black cloth bag that looks like a long-sleeved shirt with no neck hole & a zipper around the bottom. You put the closed magazine in, zip it up, then put your arms in up to your elbows in the elasticized sleeves, and change your film "blind". You put the used film in a can inside the bag, and you hold that can shut with all your might and tape it up as soon as you pull it out.

Point & shoot was something gangsters did with guns.

Ah, the good old days.....LOL There are lots of people with a good eye, and their photos are very good, but it's just become too pervasive. No offense to anyone.

OK - new rant!!!! One MORE thing I hate about football is the stupid games run overtime and then some show I want to see starts & ends late, and if I don't monitor this carefully, the dvr will cut off the end. (Long Live "First World Problems"!!)
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Closed minded pagans. Seriously. How can people go "Well I believe in magic but ______ is totally and completely impossible and I refuse to listen to any sort of information or viewpoints or anything and you're totally wrong about everything you're talking about" and have 100% of their view points be based upon things they've merely heard in passing from others instead of actually taking half a second to learn about it and get ungodly pissy when presented with actual experience. Just URGH
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
          I wonder what you all think of me, then. :/

Honestly, V? I put you in the same category as me. Hobbyist or amateur photographer.

With a very good eye, UNLIKE me. I have more the technical aspect but I suck @$$ at the "art" portion. Me: A camera junkie. You: An artist. (One I often think should go pro, btw)

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

More of a complaint than a rant but...

I really want someone to come clean my house for me today. I don't have the energy to do anything but the house is a mess. I was feeling better a couple of days ago but overnight I have started feeling like I'm suddenly nine months pregnant. I feel like I'm having to waddle everywhere all of a sudden.

The girl child was up for several hours around 3am last night so I had to get up for that and I'm really tired this morning... but I can't stand how messy the house is. So I'm just going to sit here and whine about it.

Comment

Ugh, fifth batch of curry this year and I still can't get the recipe right! I can't make it spicy enough without ruining the flavour or the texture. Maddening.
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

College algebra... followed promptly by astronomy, and then french... all before lunch... school is school no matter what title you stick on it

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                  Ugh, fifth batch of curry this year and I still can't get the recipe right! I can't make it spicy enough without ruining the flavour or the texture. Maddening.
                  You have to layer the flavor to get that deep satisfying heat. Season each element separately and let them marry in the sauce.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Why aren't there more hours in a day?

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                      Why aren't there more hours in a day?
                      Because we'd just be given more crap to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post
                        A-freakin'-men.

Comment

What do you use for spice? I spent 3 months living in Thailand and India, and I can probably give you a pointer or two.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post
                            True. -.- I just want some me-time!!

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                              What do you use for spice?
                              Well, I've tried chili powder, (which made it taste weird) capsicum oil (Which didn't mix well and looked gross) and cayenne pepper. (Which made it about as spicy as milk. Though that may be due to it having been in the back of my pantry since the Bush administration...)
                              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Well, I've tried chili powder, (which made it taste weird) capsicum oil (Which didn't mix well and looked gross) and cayenne pepper. (Which made it about as spicy as milk. Though that may be due to it having been in the back of my pantry since the Bush administration...)

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X